Recognition of Sport Excellence
- Guidelines -
Sports Recognition Guidelines for Calgary Based Athletes
Acknowledgement by The City of Calgary & Calgary Booster Club
What sports do we acknowledge?
- National Sport Federations that are members of (recognized by) the Canadian Olympic Association
- Sports not recognized by the COA, but are affiliated with a National Sport Federation
What standings do we acknowledge?
- Gold: 1st place at a national competition
- Podium finish: 1st, 2nd or 3rd place at an international competition
What defines a ‘national’ and an ‘international’ competition?
- National : minimum of seven (7) provinces and territories
- International: Canada plus three (3) other countries
What competitions are considered legitimate?
- National competitions
- Major international competitions, such as (but not limited to): Canada Games, Commonwealth Games, Goodwill Games Olympic Games, Pan-Am Games, Paralympic Games, Special Olympics World Championships, World Cup (overall), University Games
- CIS (Canadian Inter – University Sports) national competitions
- CCAA (Canadian Colleges Athletics Associations) national competitions
- Invitational competitions, tournaments or meets are NOT recognized
- Local and provincial competitions, tournaments and meets are NOT recognized
What team members do we recognize?
- Coaches, trainers & managers; are not part of the sport recognition if their athlete or team achieve the standard. They will be recognized only if they have been given an award/recognition by the sport such as ‘Coach of the Year’.
- All members of an Olympic, Paralympic or Special Olympic team.
What age categories apply?
- Any age as long as the athlete(s) meet all other requirements/guidelines
What defines a “Calgarian”?
- An athlete who is currently living and training within the Calgary city limits
- Should be living and training in Calgary for a minimum six month period
How do we acknowledge an achievement?
- Personalized certificate in a custom folder which includes letters from the Mayor of Calgary and President of the Calgary Booster Club
- Council recognition for Olympic/Paralympic/Special Olympic team members
Suggested Sports for Athlete Recognition
Cross Country Skiing
Equestrian & Dressage
Handball Ice Hockey
Taekwondo Ten Pin Bowling*
* Summer Paralympic Games sport